Ready for a challenge? Are you looking to join the leaders of the pack? Then look no further! The PADI Divemaster program is the first rung on the leadership ladder in the PADI System of diver education. This rating denotes you as a person who:
- Has a high level of personal diving skill.
- Has instructor level knowledge of diving theory.
- Has had significant training in how to assist an instructor during training activities.
- Is able to assume appropriate responsibilities that benefit the welfare of other divers.
In other words, you're the cream of the crop and we want you!
As you may know, many PADI Divemasters go on to become PADI Instructors. So, the training and experience you gain through the PADI Divemaster program helps shape your abilities and attitude toward becoming a professional level diving educator. To help shape you into a Dive Professional, PADI has developed the PADI Divemaster Crew Pack and various other material.
As a PADI Divemaster, you'll be qualified to:
- Act as certified instructional assistant to PADI Instructors.
- Supervise participants in PADI Experience programs for uncertified divers.
- Generally supervise both training and no training related diving activities by planning, organizing and directing dives.
- Teach and certify PADI Skin Divers.
- Conduct the PADI Scuba Review program for certified divers.
- Conduct the Skin Diving Skills segment of the PADI Open Water Diver course, confined Water Diver four under the direction of a PADI Instructor.
- Enroll in PADI Instructor level training
To qualify for PADI Divemaster training, you'll need to:
- Be certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or hold a qualifying certification from another training organization.
- Be certified as a PADI Rescue Diver or hold a qualifying certification from another training organization.
- Have logged a minimum of 20 open water dives prior to entry into PADI Divemaster training, and completed and logged a minimum of 60 open water dives with experience in deep and navigation prior to certification as a PADI Divemaster.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be in good physical condition for diving and submit a medical exam signed by a physician prior to any in-water activities.
- At the time of certification, have current training in CPR. (Current means that the CPR training has not expired as defined by the CPR training organization.)
- At the time of certification, have current training in First Aid. (If the candidate does not hold a PADI Rescue Diver certification, he must have first aid training that has not expired as defined by the first aid training organization.)
You'll complete three phases in the PADI Divemaster program:
1. Watermanship and skills assessment
- Watermanship and Stamina
- General diving skills
2. Knowledge Development
- Diving physics
- Diving physiology
- Diving skills and environment
- Supervising students in training
- Dive management and control
- Dive planning
- Emergency assistance plan for Diving emergencies in the local area
- Mapping a local open water site
3. Practical Application
- This involves training activities using various structured training sessions, simulated scenarios and internship sessions with actual PADI programs. These training sessions enable you to gain practical experience as an instructional assistant and a supervisor of open water diving activities, both as a coordinator and as an underwater guide.
Upon successfully completing the PADI Divemaster program, you'll receive a PADI Membership card and wall certificate denoting this rating. You'll also become a member of PADI and receive benefits, including the ability to purchase professional liability insurance (which may be required to conduct some activities).
Class fee: $375, plus Divemaster Crew Pack, PADI membership application. Includes classroom, pool and open water training time, internship experience with Open Water Dive classes, PADI Continuing Education Classes, and experience leading divers in non-training dives.
Here's your chance to share your love of diving with others. Visit HydroSports Dive and Travel to see if you're leadership material!